Jump to content
Craigieboy

Next manager of Kilmarnock job

Recommended Posts

Taking our status into context and the money available, ( unfortunately we are not a top end financial club) a good young lower league manager in England would fit the bill as most of the quoted old guard bring nothing new to the party.

Two names spring to mind Ritchie Wellens at Swindon FC or Paul Warne at Rotherham FC both I feel would breathe fresh life into the club and have a knowledge of players more within our budget range who can be brought in to the club in January 2020 as we are patently short in certain areas. Still unsure why AA left as worse managers have survived longer. With no disrespect to AD he has never managed a league club and a good coach does not always become a good manager and can we afford to gamble on the untried again? Whatever happens we have been here before and we will no doubt be in similar situations in the future. The Board statement will make interesting reading, when issued and maybe with Fowler in place a little more football enlightenment will shine through in the next appointment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, tanerba'Tam said:

Taking our status into context and the money available, ( unfortunately we are not a top end financial club) a good young lower league manager in England would fit the bill as most of the quoted old guard bring nothing new to the party.

Two names spring to mind Ritchie Wellens at Swindon FC or Paul Warne at Rotherham FC both I feel would breathe fresh life into the club and have a knowledge of players more within our budget range who can be brought in to the club in January 2020 as we are patently short in certain areas. Still unsure why AA left as worse managers have survived longer. With no disrespect to AD he has never managed a league club and a good coach does not always become a good manager and can we afford to gamble on the untried again? Whatever happens we have been here before and we will no doubt be in similar situations in the future. The Board statement will make interesting reading, when issued and maybe with Fowler in place a little more football enlightenment will shine through in the next appointment.

I can see us going in completely the other direction. They seem very keen for Dyer to remain at the club and with Fowler now being in his role I can see them wanting to go down the road of an older head who will pick the team, man manage the players and do the team talks but ultimately leave training to Dyer and Donati and all the off the field stuff to Fowler.

I like the set up of having a Head of Football Ops in terms of continuity and what it should do for us from development level but it might give the board a bit of a sore head finding a manager who doesn't want to put his stamp all over the job.

I fully expect Dyer and Donati to be in charge until Fowler does his squad reshaping and contract talks with existing players to save the potential of any more internal conflict. Any talk of a manager being ready to step in any time soon would surprise me unless Dyer and Donati have a complete disaster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I can see us going in completely the other direction. They seem very keen for Dyer to remain at the club and with Fowler now being in his role I can see them wanting to go down the road of an older head who will pick the team, man manage the players and do the team talks but ultimately leave training to Dyer and Donati and all the off the field stuff to Fowler.

I like the set up of having a Head of Football Ops in terms of continuity and what it should do for us from development level but it might give the board a bit of a sore head finding a manager who doesn't want to put his stamp all over the job.

I fully expect Dyer and Donati to be in charge until Fowler does his squad reshaping and contract talks with existing players to save the potential of any more internal conflict. Any talk of a manager being ready to step in any time soon would surprise me unless Dyer and Donati have a complete disaster.

You could well be right but this is the 'cheap option' and surely Donati is part of the problem not the cure.

AD has no managerial experience to speak of and Fowler is still very much on a learning curve in what is a new role. Whilst I want it to work I feel there should be a new Manager brought in and the majority of new faces are who he wants rather than who he is given. My impression of the current situation is that we need a leader who is a team builder identifying 2/3 contracted players and Fowler does the necessary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, tanerba'Tam said:

You could well be right but this is the 'cheap option' and surely Donati is part of the problem not the cure.

AD has no managerial experience to speak of and Fowler is still very much on a learning curve in what is a new role. Whilst I want it to work I feel there should be a new Manager brought in and the majority of new faces are who he wants rather than who he is given. My impression of the current situation is that we need a leader who is a team builder identifying 2/3 contracted players and Fowler does the necessary.

I think we need an experienced manager to come in. We desperately need some reliable stability while the rest of the club catches up.

While my number one choice would be Gary Holt (for different reasons), an Ian Holloway type would be a good fit. Not necessarily IH himself, but someone in that mould.

Edited by NorfolkG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bute-killiefan said:

Honestly, do not understand folk saying that he's proven himself at Livi. He really hasn't. Would not be mentioned if it wasn't for his Killie connection

Utter drivel. Ask any Livi fan and they will tell you he has.  With a £1m wage budget what do you expect him to achieve? Win a trophy and qualify for Europe? Highest league position in years, first league win v Celtic, beaten Sevco and has a competitive squad this season.  Not to mention pumping us 3-0. 

If Steven Robinson left Motherwell tomorrow you could bet your bottom dollar he would be a contender for that job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Mojike and Bod said:

Utter drivel. Ask any Livi fan and they will tell you he has.  With a £1m wage budget what do you expect him to achieve? Win a trophy and qualify for Europe? Highest league position in years, first league win v Celtic, beaten Sevco and has a competitive squad this season.  Not to mention pumping us 3-0. 

If Steven Robinson left Motherwell tomorrow you could bet your bottom dollar he would be a contender for that job.

Also one of a very select few managers to get the better of Clarke during his time at Killie. I’ve tried to make the same point a couple of times on this thread - got to wonder what kind of record people expect of a Livingston manager in the Premier League. Put Steve Clarke in charge of Livi and I’m not sure they’d be doing so much better than they are under Holt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There seems to be a few rumours of Dyer getting it until the end of the season and a fair few folk backing him for the gig. 

He is not my choice although I understand people’s reasoning for appointing him. I don’t see too much difference between him and AA aside from popularity. It’s a coach/assistant stepping up and relatively inexperienced in the managers role. He was a huge part of the success with Steve Clarke but Clarke isn’t here anymore. We also appointed two managers previously who were popular with players and sections of the support. Both had us plummeting towards relegations 

Those issues aside why give him until the end of the season. To me an interim appointment for that long at this stage seems like giving up on the season. There is still so much to play for and a major squad rebuild as well. If he’s going to get the job for almost half a season and a Scottish cup competition then why not give him the job properly. If not let him be in caretaker charge while we go through the process. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the complete s**tshow of a summer/pre season I'm not holding my breath that we have a plan. This is  where this situation stems from and something when he looks back Angelo should never have got involved. We were running a few months behind where we should have been.

No issue with Dyer short term, but the season is still all to play for, we could make 3rd again and go far in the cup with somone decent in charge. It is a strange position and the 1st time as a Killie fan we sacked the manager and been in a relatively good league position

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, piffer said:

There seems to be a few rumours of Dyer getting it until the end of the season and a fair few folk backing him for the gig. 

He is not my choice although I understand people’s reasoning for appointing him. I don’t see too much difference between him and AA aside from popularity. It’s a coach/assistant stepping up and relatively inexperienced in the managers role. He was a huge part of the success with Steve Clarke but Clarke isn’t here anymore. We also appointed two managers previously who were popular with players and sections of the support. Both had us plummeting towards relegations 

Those issues aside why give him until the end of the season. To me an interim appointment for that long at this stage seems like giving up on the season. There is still so much to play for and a major squad rebuild as well. If he’s going to get the job for almost half a season and a Scottish cup competition then why not give him the job properly. If not let him be in caretaker charge while we go through the process. 

Got to agree with this. We need clear direction, interim manager for a game or two fair enough but with a major rebuild required in the very near future then we really need a permanent manager in place going into the new year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know how things work in football - maybe out-of-work or ambitious managers are so desperate they will accept any good job offer - but in other professions a candidate could be expected to ask why the previous incumbent was dismissed.

Fifth in the table, MOTM - it would be reasonable to be curious. 

I hope the board has a good answer ready. "We made a mistake with the appointment", "The players didn't take to him" or "He wasn't successful enough after six months" wouldn't be what a candidate wanted to hear. 

 

 

Edited by skygod
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The board have rightly or wrongly acted quickly. They don't have the time to fanny about like they did in the summer or the transfer window will be shut. OK, Fowler can sign players in the interim, but the new manager has to make these players fit into his system. Surely, they have sounded out AD on whether he will take the job on a permanent basis if he is offered it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mojike and Bod said:

Utter drivel. Ask any Livi fan and they will tell you he has.  With a £1m wage budget what do you expect him to achieve? Win a trophy and qualify for Europe? Highest league position in years, first league win v Celtic, beaten Sevco and has a competitive squad this season.  Not to mention pumping us 3-0. 

If Steven Robinson left Motherwell tomorrow you could bet your bottom dollar he would be a contender for that job.

If you’re basing your opinion on games you’ve paid attention to, I’d suggest looking at their results overall. Mediocre and not good enough for Killie 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×