Jump to content
Andy

Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

There are a lot of people posing as experts who have no idea what they are talking about. 

Govt experts seem to get the post if they'll say what the govt wants to hear/wants them to say. 

 

 

Edited by Prahakillie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chubbs said:

All professional football postponed in England until April 3rd.

Above National (non-league) level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we will be attending junior and amateur football for a few weeks after Saturday . 
 

Talbot for me . I’m a glory hunter :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Presumably, season will be extended with EURO 2020 off until next year.  Summer fitba. 

Edited by Wrangodog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chubbs said:

All professional football postponed in England until April 3rd.

What do they expect will resolve between now and April 3rd?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Presumably, season will be extended with EURO 2020 off until next year.  Summer fitba. 

That would be the right thing to do. Euros can easily be played next summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

What do they expect will resolve between now and April 3rd?

Aye they are just going to end up extending it another month at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Should we stop US flights coming in? Seems they have tens of thousands of infections.

Dumb and dumber showing great leadership in the Corona Virus crisis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Just got email from senior management in Florida telling us that they have added a load of countries to the quarantine list inc  Spain and Germany.

 

I returned from Bremen on Tuesday and have been told to self-isolate for 14 days.

Lad I was in Belfast with last week has had 'flu' since Saturday, and my colleague who was in Germany with me, and myself, are both feeling a bit under the weather today.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chubbs said:

 Just got email from senior management in Florida telling us that they have added a load of countries to the quarantine list inc  Spain and Germany.

 

I returned from Bremen on Tuesday and have been told to self-isolate for 14 days.

Lad I was in Belfast with last week has had 'flu' since Saturday, and my colleague who was in Germany with me, and myself, are both feeling a bit under the weather today.

 

Shame those Orange walks will be cancelled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump slurs his way through the announcement of a National Emergency, congratulating himself throughout, and blaming EU, Obama and Democrats. $50billion in very importly money.

Serves up Walmart, Walgreen and CVS up for some free advertising in the Rose Garden.

Mike Pence steps up to give Trump a verbal blowjob.

Trump congrats himself some more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chubbs said:

 Just got email from senior management in Florida telling us that they have added a load of countries to the quarantine list inc  Spain and Germany.

 

I returned from Bremen on Tuesday and have been told to self-isolate for 14 days.

Lad I was in Belfast with last week has had 'flu' since Saturday, and my colleague who was in Germany with me, and myself, are both feeling a bit under the weather today.

 

Best wishes Chubbs. Hopefully just seasonal stuff. Difficult not to have a degree of paranoia.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Best wishes Chubbs. Hopefully just seasonal stuff. Difficult not to have a degree of paranoia.  

That's the problem .... it doesn't feel any different than a cold and that's all it might be.

Started with a slightly sore throat on Monday and today I feel like I've got a cold coming on.

In the theoretical 2 week incubation period I've been in Amsterdam, N.Ireland and Germany.  Been on 5 planes, stayed in 3 hotels and worked in 2 food production plants. 

My 2 colleagues have been on 4 other flights and a third production plant without me.  

It's quite scary to actually realise how many people I have been around in that 2 week period and easy to see it can spread so far and wide 

 

Edit: And my mate's daughter in Holland has just got a positive diagnosis that she has it.

 

Edited by chubbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, casual observer said:

Due to the lack of testing that is and will be done in the UK for people like Chubbs, how will we ever have a handle on the number of infections?

Tests are available but as usual red tape is holding things up. My company has automated corona tests ( not vaccines though) available for at least three different instrument platforms. We’ve actually no instruments left in the warehouse because they’ve all been sold with a view to be used in corona testing. 
Things seem slower this time than in the swine flu outbreak ten years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 6:58 AM, fraz65 said:

Hubei province has a similar population density to England. They have managed to slow the spread of the virus from 3,500 cases per day to double digits. 

They have mainly done this in two ways.

1. Mobile testing units. Suspected cases have a white blood cell count and a rapid flu test. If both are negative, they have a mobile CT chest scan performed. Those suspected of having the virus are immediately isolated and not allowed to return home. 

2. Social isolation. Football stadiums full of hospital beds are used to house people away from their families. 80% of viral spread is within family clusters. Social isolation in the home doesn't work. 

South Korea have a similar strategy, although less draconian. We know what works to slow the spread of COVID-19 and we know what fails. Western governments have a choice which route they want to pursue. 

I agree with what you say however although social isolation doesn't work in terms of prevention of an infected person passing this on (family member/household) it does work by slowing down the transmission of the virus outside of the home e.g. workplace, shopping , restaurants etc.. etc..

I don't think the UK have done enough as of yet.

Getting back to the point of nae Killie it is something that i fear. The economic impact of this has only just begun. Lots of businesses are going to struggle and go to the wall and i really hope Killie aren't one of them.

I'm hopeful that this virus will be slowed down by higher temperatures. I've seen some suggestions about this but not read it as being confirmed yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psv_killie said:

I agree with what you say however although social isolation doesn't work in terms of prevention of an infected person passing this on (family member/household) it does work by slowing down the transmission of the virus outside of the home e.g. workplace, shopping , restaurants etc.. etc..

I don't think the UK have done enough as of yet.

Getting back to the point of nae Killie it is something that i fear. The economic impact of this has only just begun. Lots of businesses are going to struggle and go to the wall and i really hope Killie aren't one of them.

I'm hopeful that this virus will be slowed down by higher temperatures. I've seen some suggestions about this but not read it as being confirmed yet.

I'm not sure about the higher temperature argument. 

That's certainly not the opinion of experts here in Australia. 

You're correct that some sort of social distancing can slow the virus. I worry that this is little more than a rearranging deckchairs approach though. If you don't separate family members and adopt widespread surveillance and testing, you don't control the virus and you don't stop the health system from being overwhelmed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chubbs said:

The US has banned flights from the UK and Ireland starting from Monday morning. 

A complete global lockdown on international travel seems inevitable. 

My family arrive in Australia from Scotland this morning so they've only just made it. 

It's not just this football season that will be affected. I would be surprised if next season starts on time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Czechs completely closed all cafes, pubs, restaurants and most shops from 6am this morning. 

Only supermarkets, pharmacies, chemists are open. 

The idea is to prevent shopping as a leisure activity, people gathering together in shopping centres, pubs, cafes etc. 

Edited by Prahakillie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fraz65 said:

I'm not sure about the higher temperature argument. 

That's certainly not the opinion of experts here in Australia. 

You're correct that some sort of social distancing can slow the virus. I worry that this is little more than a rearranging deckchairs approach though. If you don't separate family members and adopt widespread surveillance and testing, you don't control the virus and you don't stop the health system from being overwhelmed. 

It was this that i read

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3551767

I'm not a scientist so i'm unsure how well received it is.

I guess the other thing about higher temperatures is people being out and about more in open spaces.

If people who have close contact with someone who is infected don't understand how to protect themselves and clean up the surrounding area then yes that is true. They are very much at risk of catching the virus in the household.

It's the sensible thing to take away someone who is infected but the stark reality is we don't have the processes, systems and resources in place to deal with it. The charts I've seen aren't necessarily preventing people from catching the virus but delaying and stretching out the time line so that the healthcare system can cope. I see what they are doing and it is required but I've yet to see any real information or intention on how they will protect the elderly and those with health issues. Perhaps I've missed it or it's something they will release in due time. I'm really concerned about care homes for the elderly? The stats for people over 70 aren't great and for people over 80 it's even worse.

Stay safe in Australia! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spain has declared a state of emergency. All cafes bars and restaurants are to close until further notice . 
My mate in Lanzarote has said they’ve even closed the golf courses on the island . There has been no panic buying up until now but that’ll no doubt change . 

‘Just heard that Cesar Manrique airport will close on Monday at 8am the other island airports will no doubt follow 

Edited by Bonbon19
Airport closure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


The Killie Trust

KFC Supporters Association

Young Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock FC (Official)

×