Jump to content
Andy

Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

I don’t think there is any doubt that the fact they “forgot “ is politically motivated

No 'benefit of the doubt' here then?

"Given that Matt Hancock specifically referred to the scheme on last week’s Question Time, we have to ask: is there a tear in the bulls**t-time continuum? Or did the government reject a major potential source of ventilators to own the libs?"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2020/mar/27/corona-prince-johnson-designated-survivors-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scooter said:

No 'benefit of the doubt' here then?

"Given that Matt Hancock specifically referred to the scheme on last week’s Question Time, we have to ask: is there a tear in the bulls**t-time continuum? Or did the government reject a major potential source of ventilators to own the libs?"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2020/mar/27/corona-prince-johnson-designated-survivors-

That’s the difference between me and most on here , I can criticise or praise both camps , you and others can only criticise one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RAG said:

BoJo in fairness is not a scientist, none of us have ever lived through this kind of thing.  He underestimated covid,  putting Brexit ideology before losing face.  In a tight spot, you’re better as part of a bigger unit, just like in WW2.  It was a high risk strategy and we should all be glad he’s rowed back from that.

Would be a public health and to a lesser extent PR disaster if Dyson etc don’t deliver on time.  Even their ETA of June seems a bit late in the day when this could peak well before.  

But at least Dyson or GTEC are involved in mass production, which is the complete opposite of what F1 teams do..

Yes bit GTEC have been offered hardly any orders.  Almost all the money is going to Dyson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

That’s the difference between me and most on here , I can criticise or praise both camps , you and others can only criticise one. 

Thays not actually true, especially now.  Therws been praise for the UK and criticism when it's due and also for the Scot Gov.

Some on here cannot bring themselves to ever say well done to the Scottish government despite them being ahead of the UK for most of this. 

Neither have been as proactive as they should've been and should've brought the lockdown in a few weeks earlier and stopped all personal air travel, sea travel and locked the island down much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

Thays not actually true, especially now.  Therws been praise for the UK and criticism when it's due and also for the Scot Gov.

Some on here cannot bring themselves to ever say well done to the Scottish government despite them being ahead of the UK for most of this. 

Neither have been as proactive as they should've been and should've brought the lockdown in a few weeks earlier and stopped all personal air travel, sea travel and locked the island down much better.

I agree that the Scottish govt does appear to be handling this crisis better than WM , there are various factors involved not least personalities , big Jason is playing a blinder and is the go to guy for BBC breakfast , but I’d expect that from a fellow Glasgow university graduate ;) . There are still posters whose default position is that all WM does is bad and can’t wait to criticise tbh . 
I used the word appear not in a derogatory way , because no one at this moment can really argue that they’ve got all the bases covered and that they’re doing everything correctly because it will be some time before govts and the WHO pour over the data to see what was effective and what wasn’t . Hong Kong ,Singapore and several Asian countries had the SARS and H1N1 experience but they were still caught out by this . Money of course playing a large part , I read a synopses of the Bill Gates 2015 forum on the threat of viruses and the money needed to prepare for such a scenario was in the billions iirc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

There are still posters whose default position is that all WM does is bad and can’t wait to criticise tbh . 

The WM performance has been a shambles.  BoJo brazenly saying he shook hands with everyone at a hospital treating covid patients, then catches it along with the health sec and chief medical officer within a fortnight, being the absolute stand out.

Then the 10 years of Tory austerity that removed public services, starved the ones that remained of funds, so there was no slack in the system for a crisis.  Then there's the Tories winning an election just 4 months ago.  Already they're gonna rip up spending plans, borrow so much dosh, even Jeremy Corbyn would blush.  The future generations will pay for this incompetence over the last decade. Much like in 2008 when we paid a high price for Labour's soft touch regulation of the banks and financial industry in the decade before the financial crash.

If it is our biggest crisis since WW2, the PM at the outbreak of war lasted a mere 7 months -  because he wasn't perceived as being up to the job.  

Edited by RAG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget the herd immunity plan at the outset of the crisis. The late realisation and u turn has killed/will kill a lot of people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Killie71 said:

Don't forget the herd immunity plan at the outset of the crisis. The late realisation and u turn has killed/will kill a lot of people.

Englands death toll up 200+ yesterday, Scotland was up 7.  That's a consistent 3.5% on population share.  Yes I know demographics, international traveller volume, etc will play a part.  But NS has been quicker and sharper than Bojo all the way through, and thank f**k she has been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bonbon19 said:

Money of course playing a large part , I read a synopses of the Bill Gates 2015 forum on the threat of viruses and the money needed to prepare for such a scenario was in the billions iirc 

They can cancel HS2 and fund this instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Killie71 said:

Don't forget the herd immunity plan at the outset of the crisis. The late realisation and u turn has killed/will kill a lot of people.

Totally agree. I'm no scientist or have medical knowledge but I said that they shouldn't be doing that when Vallance first mentioned it.  Horse is out the stable now.  They really need pulled on that as there is a definite continuing arrogance from them, led by Bojo that they have done things right all along and these press conferences do not allow any cross examination. On a side note, I'd love to pull Gove's bottom lip up over his head. 

Edited by Shropshire_killie
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today we’ve been having a bit of a giggle at @medfetuk’s kind donation to the NHS. Which other unusual companies can come to our aid in a time of national emergency?

Seriously though, how bad are things when nhs procurement are contacting kinksters for PPE?

Edited by Zorro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Totally agree. I'm no scientist or have medical knowledge but I said that they shouldn't be doing that when Vallance first mentioned it.  Horse is out the stable now.  They really need pulled on that as there is a definite continuing arrogance from them, led by Bojo that they have done things right all along and these press conferences do not allow any cross examination. On a side note, I'd love to pull Gove's bottom lip up over his head. 

Thats why he allowed Cheltenham to go ahead and Madrid fans to Liverpool  utter lowlife johnson and that arsehole Cummings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Englands death toll up 200+ yesterday, Scotland was up 7.  That's a consistent 3.5% on population share.  Yes I know demographics, international traveller volume, etc will play a part.  But NS has been quicker and sharper than Bojo all the way through, and thank f**k she has been.

She certainly speaks better than him but that isn't saying much. Don't forget NS had announced that the football fixtures would go ahead including Sevco v Celtic, with the lockdown starting on the Monday until doing a U-turn at the last minute. There's no moral high ground in this whole affair, European politicians should have acted sooner when they saw what was happening in China, but they didn't and people are paying the price with their lives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

Money of course playing a large part , I read a synopses of the Bill Gates 2015 forum on the threat of viruses and the money needed to prepare for such a scenario was in the billions iirc 

Actually I think he’s arguing the cost of readiness needn’t be astronomical. Interesting that this short clip is from 2015, and he’s lamenting our lack of readiness back then.  Also refers to the perceived nuclear threat ( yet we still squander billions on such weaponry) and argues the greatest global threat, and devastating financial fallout,  is a pandemic.

 

https://youtu.be/6Af6b_wyiwI

 

Edited by Stefanus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

She certainly speaks better than him but that isn't saying much. Don't forget NS had announced that the football fixtures would go ahead including Sevco v Celtic, with the lockdown starting on the Monday until doing a U-turn at the last minute. There's no moral high ground in this whole affair, European politicians should have acted sooner when they saw what was happening in China, but they didn't and people are paying the price with their lives. 

Not taking any moral.high ground and in earlier posts I have been critical of NS fkr not initiating more and sooner.  But kn an island it takes more than one to he effective and Bojo and his mates have hindered everything.  All travel should've been locked down much earlier, the lock down too.  It wasnt and all we can do is hope that what they're doing now one enough to keep the numbers of dead down.  Personally I dont think in england it is, hope I'm wrong but their numbers are frighteningly like italys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Stefanus said:

Actually I think he’s arguing the cost of readiness needn’t be astronomical. Interesting that this short clip is from 2015, and he’s lamenting our lack of readiness back then.  Also refers to the perceived nuclear threat ( yet we still squander billions on such weaponry) and argues the greatest global threat, and devastating financial fallout,  is a pandemic.

 

https://youtu.be/6Af6b_wyiwI

 

There’s an excellent paper from the EU called the Economic impact of epidemics and pandemics which estimates the prevention costs at between $2-3.5 billion per year . Not an awful lot if all the nations put into it . This paper was published in 2018 and it has already got a covid-19 update page, I’m willing to bet that this paper will receive a better reception this time around. Just a shame the U.K. isn’t involved , but who knows it might encourage more worldwide cooperation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

.  All travel should've been locked down much earlier, the lock down too.  It wasnt and all we can do is hope that what they're doing now one enough to keep the numbers of dead down.  

Still isn't, apparently there's still 20 flights a day coming from New York, with no temperature testing or anything, possibly bringing the pox, and passengers are allowed to go on their merry way! Flights still also coming from China and the Far East.

Yet everyone is stuck at home and the police are hassling folk for going for a walk?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Not taking any moral.high ground and in earlier posts I have been critical of NS fkr not initiating more and sooner.  But kn an island it takes more than one to he effective and Bojo and his mates have hindered everything.  All travel should've been locked down much earlier, the lock down too.  It wasnt and all we can do is hope that what they're doing now one enough to keep the numbers of dead down.  Personally I dont think in england it is, hope I'm wrong but their numbers are frighteningly like italys

Against that few people took it that seriously at first and wading in with the kind of sanctions that were actually required would have faced stiff opposition from the media and the public. Rightly or wrongly taking people's feelings into account doesn't matter in this kind of situation and I doubt if any government would have got the desired response if they went straight from everything goes, into full lockdown, shops, pubs, restaurants, people's livelihoods on hold. We are a liberal society, it is difficult to jump from that straight into expecting people to be obedient. Where I will criticise the UK government is in not having the equipment to protect the front line staff who are treating patients with the coronavirus and for the lack of clarity in their instructions to the public.Their own cabinet have been guilty of sending out mixed messages and not knowing what the correct policy is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scooter said:

Still isn't, apparently there's still 20 flights a day coming from New York, with no temperature testing or anything, possibly bringing the pox, and passengers are allowed to go on their merry way! Flights still also coming from China and the Far East.

Yet everyone is stuck at home and the police are hassling folk for going for a walk?!

Most of the air freight that arrives in the UK, comes in the hold of passenger planes.  Is little chance they’ll stop passenger flights for that reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RAG said:

Most of the air freight that arrives in the UK, comes in the hold of passenger planes.  Is little chance they’ll stop passenger flights for that reason.

You can still bring freight without bringing passengers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 2:14 PM, RAG said:

The WM performance has been a shambles.  BoJo brazenly saying he shook hands with everyone at a hospital treating covid patients, then catches it along with the health sec and chief medical officer within a fortnight, being the absolute stand out.

Then the 10 years of Tory austerity that removed public services, starved the ones that remained of funds, so there was no slack in the system for a crisis.  Then there's the Tories winning an election just 4 months ago.  Already they're gonna rip up spending plans, borrow so much dosh, even Jeremy Corbyn would blush.  The future generations will pay for this incompetence over the last decade. Much like in 2008 when we paid a high price for Labour's soft touch regulation of the banks and financial industry in the decade before the financial crash.

If it is our biggest crisis since WW2, the PM at the outbreak of war lasted a mere 7 months -  because he wasn't perceived as being up to the job.  

Don’t disagree with the 10 years of austerity brought about by the Tories , but what did the SNP govt in Scotland do to offset this , not forgetting that they were in charge of their own destiny wrt health , education etc ? 
And future generations are gong to be paying for all govts incompetence and lack of planning  for this crisis , WM , Holyrood , Cardiff and less so Stormont . All ignored Bill Gates , TED and the EU paper I previously highlighted . Only when all govts act together will we be able to handle any future crisises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read that the number of cases and deaths in the Czech Republic is being put down to the mandatory wearing of masks in public . I wonder if Prahakillie has any info on this ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

Don’t disagree with the 10 years of austerity brought about by the Tories , but what did the SNP govt in Scotland do to offset this , not forgetting that they were in charge of their own destiny wrt health , education etc ? 

I think anybody asking this has a right cheek, let's tie an arm behind your back and see how well you get on... 

But in any case, the Scottish Government DID mitigate the worst aspects of Westminster policy, to the tune of over £100 million a year.

The big one is, they fully mitigated the harsh effects of the Bedroom Tax.

They also mitigated the UK government’s decision to remove Housing Benefit for 18-21 year olds.

They also gave Crisis Grants and Community Care Grants to thousands of families from the Scottish Welfare Fund.

They safeguarded support for disabled people through the Scottish Independent Living Fund, after the UK government scrapped the scheme.

Aye but apart from that, what else did they do?? 9_9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

Don’t disagree with the 10 years of austerity brought about by the Tories , but what did the SNP govt in Scotland do to offset this , not forgetting that they were in charge of their own destiny wrt health , education etc ? 

The Scottish government have no borrowing powers whatsoever - apart from really limited capital infrastructure powers for things like for bridges, which are in reality more like mortgages than bank loans.

Budget diminished year upon year (as you accept) under the coalition and Tory government for the last decade, all in the name of efficiency.  So much 'efficiency',  there's no slack in the system to pay for the extra planning you'd like, when core services are being cut. 

D'you think this 'Covid-19 response' is being paid for in real cash by the UK gov. or on 'tick'?  

That was a rhetorical question - you'll find the answer in my opening sentence. 

Edited by RAG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

There’s an excellent paper from the EU called the Economic impact of epidemics and pandemics which estimates the prevention costs at between $2-3.5 billion per year . Not an awful lot if all the nations put into it . This paper was published in 2018 and it has already got a covid-19 update page, I’m willing to bet that this paper will receive a better reception this time around. Just a shame the U.K. isn’t involved , but who knows it might encourage more worldwide cooperation.

I see that dickhead of a chef Gordon Ramsey worth £140 millilon paid off his 500 staff even though the govts furlough scheme would have kept them in a job absolute tosser as is that dickhead from weatherspoon who told his staff to get a job in tescos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


The Killie Trust

KFC Supporters Association

Young Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock FC (Official)

×