Jump to content
Andy

Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Recommended Posts

Looks like Wabtec (originally Barclays) in Killie, is shutting down with the loss of around 100 jobs. Will be many more job losses before we get back to some semblance of normality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, Dieter's Heeder said:

Certainly for the next few months. Hopefully by that point its at a much more manageable level. 

I see this anti europe tory govt has allowed thousands of foreigners doctors nurses and paramedics working in the NHS  AUTO extending their visas for a year once this crisis is over will boot them out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard about the first person I knew to have It a couple of days ago. She has now died. Was former neighbour of my parents. Only 60, but with some underlying health issues. Now hearing that someone else where she worked is in intensive care and a younger distant relative has got it. This is when it gets very real. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Heard about the first person I knew to have It a couple of days ago. She has now died. Was former neighbour of my parents. Only 60, but with some underlying health issues. Now hearing that someone else where she worked is in intensive care and a younger distant relative has got it. This is when it gets very real. 

It's been real for a while, my wife got treated yesterday but she works for the NHS and the response was amazing.  Tested within 2 hours of her request. 

At the moment she isnt showing anything beyond a persistent cough and feeling tired and put of breath.  But 3 folks in a doctors surgery she works in on a Monday and Friday tested positive, and one is back at work already.  Another from one of the other surgeries she works in has tested negative.

9% of the people infected could have a serious reaction and end up in ITU and not all of those have underlying conditions.  This is indiscriminate and scary as hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

It's been real for a while, my wife got treated yesterday but she works for the NHS and the response was amazing.  Tested within 2 hours of her request. 

At the moment she isnt showing anything beyond a persistent cough and feeling tired and put of breath.  But 3 folks in a doctors surgery she works in on a Monday and Friday tested positive, and one is back at work already.  Another from one of the other surgeries she works in has tested negative.

9% of the people infected could have a serious reaction and end up in ITU and not all of those have underlying conditions.  This is indiscriminate and scary as hell.

Hope she makes a full recovery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Hope she makes a full recovery. 

Cheers, still awaiting the results, bit shed doing fine so far.  A bir breathless and a persistent cough, still able to get up and about the house.   But if she does test positive and this us mild, I can easily see why folks with underlying conditions end up in Hospital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

It's been real for a while, my wife got treated yesterday but she works for the NHS and the response was amazing.  Tested within 2 hours of her request. 

At the moment she isnt showing anything beyond a persistent cough and feeling tired and put of breath.  But 3 folks in a doctors surgery she works in on a Monday and Friday tested positive, and one is back at work already.  Another from one of the other surgeries she works in has tested negative.

9% of the people infected could have a serious reaction and end up in ITU and not all of those have underlying conditions.  This is indiscriminate and scary as hell.

Glad to hear she should be ok :hurrah:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gov. and media are totally misleading people about how dangerous (or widespread) this actually is.  The only deaths they’re counting are deaths in hospital.  Die outside of hospital and that’s not included in the Coronavirus figures.  Will matter a lot more once they run out of ICU beds.  In a years time, the mortality rate will be revised upwards for sure.

More worryingly, in Spain there’s about 70,000 active cases and 864 deaths yesterday. In the UK, 27,000 active cases and 563 deaths yesterday.  Either the Spanish health systems a lot better than ours, or our testing isn’t up to scratch.  Testing not being up to scratch = longer lockdown than required and more economic pain. They do about 1/4 the amount of tests per 100,000 population in UK compared to ITaly or South Korea.

Alternately, like the Spanish flu is reckoned to have killed many more than it should have ‘cos of horrors of WW1, 10 years of Tory austerity have weakened the weakest in the British population and this could be reflected in the figures.  Life expectancy was already dropping before coronavirus  - but only in the UK.

Edited by RAG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latwst being reported in the National (yes written press) is that the UK government ate stopping all devolved assemblies and NHS obtaining extra test kits unless they come through them.

Seriously WTAF are these incompetent idiots up to.  They've made and are making a right trip roaring arse of things, are being shown up as clueless so have now decided to try and make the devolved nations as bad as them.

This is people's lives these bawsacks  are playing with.  Just when you didnt think WM could get any worse they pull this pish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Beaker71 There’s a severe worldwide shortage of chemicals used in the tests.  All countries are bidding against each other for the tests, US states said it was like an ebay auction trying to get The kit, bidding against other states and then being outbid by foreign countries.  I could see why the UK gov would stop any bidding war or internal market within the UK, as seen in USA, with the finite amount of tests (or chemicals used within them - ‘reagents’ I think they’re called) that are available. 

Hopefully behind the scenes they’re doing all they can to get a domestic supply of the chemicals used in the tests To solve the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the reagents is that different test kits utilise slightly different chemical strengths . Normally you can’t interchange one company’s test with another’s chemicals that could invalidate the test . 
 

Beaker hope your wife makes a full recovery 

Edited by Bonbon19
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RAG said:

The gov. and media are totally misleading people about how dangerous (or widespread) this actually is.  The only deaths they’re counting are deaths in hospital.  Die outside of hospital and that’s not included in the Coronavirus figures.  Will matter a lot more once they run out of ICU beds.  In a years time, the mortality rate will be revised upwards for sure.

On the other side of the figures is they include everyone who had the virus in them when they died whether it was a contributing factor or not.  They had announced that an 18yo was the youngest victim (at that point) but it was later found he had a previously unknown condition that killed him.

 

I read something earlier that said 'only' around 12% of the Italian deaths were directly due to the virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

The problem with the reagents is that different test kits utilise slightly different chemical strengths . Normally you can’t interchange one company’s test with another’s chemicals that could invalidate the test . 
 

Beaker hope your wife makes a full recovery 

Sounds to me like those reagent chemicals are patented, proprietary blends - bit like the Coca-Cola formula?  

Seems a bit strange/unlikely (unless there's legal reasons) they can't be produced by anyone else of the face of the Earth, other than the various testing machine manufacturers themselves.

Just now, chubbs said:

On the other side of the figures is they include everyone who had the virus in them when they died whether it was a contributing factor or not.  They had announced that an 18yo was the youngest victim (at that point) but it was later found he had a previously unknown condition that killed him....I read something earlier that said 'only' around 12% of the Italian deaths were directly due to the virus.

Good point chubbs.

My best wishes to beaker and his family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RAG said:

Sounds to me like those reagent chemicals are patented, proprietary blends - bit like the Coca-Cola formula?  

Seems a bit strange/unlikely (unless there's legal reasons) they can't be produced by anyone else of the face of the Earth, other than the various testing machine manufacturers

common practise in medical device industry, you sell the kit at a reasonable price and make a killing in the consumables.  Eppendorf make millions this way and even have a budget brand which they sell though resellers and make it look like competition and this is no different than the premium stuff.

1 minute ago, RAG said:

My best wishes to beaker and his family.

Thanks, hopefully the test comes back negative and she’s just got a seasonal thing, but it’s scary all the same.  Really brings this s**t home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

common practise in medical device industry, you sell the kit at a reasonable price and make a killing in the consumables.  Eppendorf make millions this way and even have a budget brand which they sell though resellers and make it look like competition and this is no different than the premium stuff.

Thanks, hopefully the test comes back negative and she’s just got a seasonal thing, but it’s scary all the same.  Really brings this s**t home

Could be why the Chinese are exporting testing kits that have slightly dubious quality control.  They don't recognise or enforce Western patents in China for a lot of products and are too big a market for any company to complain about.

Even Trump seemed to change his tune in the last 24h about Coronavirus, when his friends started getting infected. It's scary stuff.. You take care anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RAG said:

Could be why the Chinese are exporting testing kits that have slightly dubious quality control.  They don't recognise or enforce Western patents in China for a lot of products and are too big a market for any company to complain about.

Even Trump seemed to change his tune in the last 24h about Coronavirus, when his friends started getting infected. It's scary stuff.. You take care anyway.

Likewise bud stay safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RAG said:

@Beaker71 There’s a severe worldwide shortage of chemicals used in the tests.  All countries are bidding against each other for the tests, US states said it was like an ebay auction trying to get The kit, bidding against other states and then being outbid by foreign countries.  I could see why the UK gov would stop any bidding war or internal market within the UK, as seen in USA, with the finite amount of tests (or chemicals used within them - ‘reagents’ I think they’re called) that are available. 

Hopefully behind the scenes they’re doing all they can to get a domestic supply of the chemicals used in the tests To solve the problem.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Zorro I must wholeheartedly apologise for taking the words of a Tory cabinet minister at face value.  That Peston is on it - although probably not in the same way as Michael Gove..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zorro said:

 

 

Exactly Tories being Tories and trying to cover up their complete incompetence which is costing people their lives.  Centralising the purchasing of this is now also going to cost lives in Scotland which I find deplorable and utterly political.  Scotland’s government has shown their incompetence all the way through this so they’ve decided to handicap us.

FFS you bastards this isn’t a competition, it’s a time for every nation to help each other not be selfish wanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Exactly Tories being Tories..

The grand plan must still be heard immunity, it's only really spin that says they've changed from that course  If you were being really cynical about it, top guys, future king and PM have already caught it. Tories can rebalance economy, wipe out weak industries and weak people dependant on the state.  Then the first few years of Singapore-on-Thames Brexit will look like an economic boom and paradise compared to what's going down in 2020, when you can't even get out the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

The problem with the reagents is that different test kits utilise slightly different chemical strengths . Normally you can’t interchange one company’s test with another’s chemicals that could invalidate the test . 
 

Beaker hope your wife makes a full recovery 

Ditto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

 

FFS you bastards this isn’t a competition, it’s a time for every nation to help each other not be selfish wanks

Gove is an even bigger liability as a leader than Johnston. FFS both of them were willing to peddle the notion that leaving the EU was a good thing in order to further their political careers.  They would both be happy to sell you snake oil for cancer uf they thought there was a buck in it for them. A couple of highly educated lowlifes.

P.S. hope your wife is OK Beaker.

Edited by gdevoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


The Killie Trust

KFC Supporters Association

Young Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock FC (Official)

×