Jump to content
Steppskillie

Reality check 4 points off bottom this time next week

Recommended Posts

It would take an extraordinary run of results to see us relegated this year, while not impossible it's highly unlikely,

Of the bottom 5 only Hamilton are on any run of good form and teams in the bottom 6 are going to take points off each other after the split.

Hearts, who have only won 4 games all season, would need to win 4 games more than us with only 9 to play

And

St. Mirren would need to win 3 more than us with 9 to play

And

Hamilton would need to win 3more than us with 8 to play

And

Ross County would need to win 2 more than us with 8 to play

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Zorro said:

I don’t think we ever got to see the style of play AA wanted to develop, simply because we didn’t have the players able/willing to adapt to his style. I believe if he’d been give a another transfer window or two, we’d have seen a very different Kilmarnock team n

I don't think there was any chance of him getting the budget he would have needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrTumnus said:

It would take an extraordinary run of results to see us relegated this year, while not impossible it's  very unlikely.

 

I just keep thinking of Hibs that year of AJ.

A couple of wins before the split would mean all the teams below us would need to get 39 by the end of the season. I'm sure some super stato could prove that is not possible.

A couple of decent results is all we need but right now that seems like a big ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I don't think there was any chance of him getting the budget he would have needed.

I don’t think it would’ve taken much money to change our style. Motherwell and Livi have both demonstrated that quality players are available in our price bracket. Augment that with a couple of quality loanees and you’re good to go. However for whatever reason we’re pretty poor at either identifying potential signings or getting the deals over the line. 

Edited by Zorro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, iainmaccoll said:

To be fair football under AA is the worst ive ever had to watch (not a dyer fan) but a least were scoring goals and games are more exiting. Top six or not dont think i could have lasted the season watching killie under AA.

 

you must be new

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, iainmaccoll said:

To be fair football under AA is the worst ive ever had to watch (not a dyer fan) but a least were scoring goals and games are more exiting. Top six or not dont think i could have lasted the season watching killie under AA.

 

I have to agree watching us under AA was hurting my eyes but as pointed out elsewhere its hardly the worst weve been that I gave seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 wins and a draw to be sure 40 points , a win and 2 draws 38 should be enough. Surely we can achieve this at least, next week massive now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Last Atari Moron said:

Could of nerds on Pie and Bovril are projecting 37/38 points to see a team safe. Reckon one more win is required. 

I used to take 35 as a benchmark so one win would do it, but one year results conspired to relegate a team with 37. 39 would probably require a very particular set of results one result not in the pattern would make us safe.

Ideally I'd like us to just see how many points we can  gather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrTumnus said:

It would take an extraordinary run of results to see us relegated this year, while not impossible it's highly unlikely,

Of the bottom 5 only Hamilton are on any run of good form and teams in the bottom 6 are going to take points off each other after the split.

Hearts, who have only won 4 games all season, would need to win 4 games more than us with only 9 to play

And

St. Mirren would need to win 3 more than us with 9 to play

And

Hamilton would need to win 3more than us with 8 to play

And

Ross County would need to win 2 more than us with 8 to play

 

 

 

What happened to Hibs in season 2013/14 gives me the fear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, angus said:

What happened to Hibs in season 2013/14 gives me the fear. 

Yes but Butcher publicly stated that the players at the club were not good enough and would not be there the following year, then expected the same players to play for him for half the season.  Worst managerial statement ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MrTumnus said:

Yes but Butcher publicly stated that the players at the club were not good enough and would not be there the following year, then expected the same players to play for him for half the season.  Worst managerial statement ever.

Not as bad as that one, but 'I won't apply for the job, but I'll take it if they ask' doesn't inspire confidence or show a desire to succeed, painfully reflected in recent performances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 11:14 PM, iainmaccoll said:

To be fair football under AA is the worst ive ever had to watch (not a dyer fan) but a least were scoring goals and games are more exiting. Top six or not dont think i could have lasted the season watching killie under AA.

 

Says more about you than anything else.

You'd rather watch "good football" that see's us bottom of the form table since AA was sacked, rather than pick up points?

The name of the game is winning and we aren't winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CardinalSpin said:

Not as bad as that one, but 'I won't apply for the job, but I'll take it if they ask' doesn't inspire confidence or show a desire to succeed, painfully reflected in recent performances.

To be accurate, I think he said he would have a decision to make if he was offered the job.

But think on this, and BB saying that AD has his vote for permanent manager, "if he wants to stay".

AD must feel he has the board eating out of his hand; more balls in his hand than Joe Marler in a scrum. 

It's extraordinary behaviour over a manager with an indifferent record. What's the score? Do they just really like the guy on a personal level? Enjoy being seen as an equal opportunities flag bearer? See something in him which many of us are missing?

I doubt that Billy Bowie Special Projects tell suppliers they can have the job if they want it, without having undergone a tender process. 

 

Edited by skygod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The name of the game is winning and we aren't winning.

Indeed.

However, after AA's MotM in October and us picking up 3 pts vs St Mirren on the 26th he went on to win only 1 game vs the Jambos, drew 3 and lost 4. So the football was hard to watch and we were getting gubbed fairly regularly. I still don't think that was the reason he was released but that's a topic for another thread.

Since Dyer has been in charge we have  lost 9, drawn 1 and won 3. Actually not that much worse but clearly no better.

My point is that we were not actually winning the AA way either.

 

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Indeed.

However, after AA's MotM in October and us picking up 3 pts vs St Mirren on the 26th he went on to win only 1 game vs the Jambos, drew 3 and lost 4. So the football was hard to watch and we were getting gubbed fairly regularly. I still don't think that was the reason he was released but that's a topic for another thread.

Since Dyer has been in charge we have  lost 9, drawn 1 and won 3. Actually not that much worse but clearly no better.

My point is that we were not actually winning the AA way either.

 

  

 

Because AA didn’t have the players required to play his system. That’s the biggest point your missing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

Because AA didn’t have the players required to play his system. That’s the biggest point your missing. 

As a football manager you very, very rarely are in a position to "get the players to play your system". All the most successful managers pick a system to suit the players they have or can bring in. Look at Hamilton. They have a system. Their players are bargain basement but they are surviving in the top league.

AA should have been adaptable enough to work with what he had. As time went by he could have brought in guys he thought could do a job for him but he showed no sign of having the contacts needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

 

My point is that we were not actually winning the AA way either.

 

  

 

We certainly weren't bottom of the table.

In Dyers games we are relegation zone in the table based on points gained.

Top of the "better to watch table" seemingly though.

We have gained 10 points under Dyer and 23 under AA.

AA was in charge for 17 games and AD has been in charge for 13.

AD could win the next 4 games and still have a worse record than AA.

I dread to think where we'd be had we not got as many points on the board early on in the season.

But seemingly all is well as we're better to watch now. I mind seeing a Falkirk side that were decent to watch go down one season. Look where they are now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The board seriously need to look at the record at the end of the season. Even the Rangers game is looking like not such an amazing achievement considering all the results they have had. At the moment he has not done enough for the job, not nearly enough. Unless he improves dramatically and we do not want to go back to the years fighting at the bottom end of the table then we need someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

AD could win the next 4 games and still have a worse record than AA.

I never said things had got better since AD took over, as you point out they have got worse. It seems to me that after a reasonable run of games where we have gone with AD was the direction of travel anyway. It is like teams had sussed us before AD took over. He certainly has no improved anything. For example I can't see anything KB brings.

55 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

But seemingly all is well as we're better to watch now.

All is certainly far from well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel we're arguing for the sake of arguing here.

Few could possibly dispute that AA football was depressing to watch but garnered points on a fairly regular basis.

AD's points haul is "dire" and unless we win a couple of games pronto we risked getting sucked into the relegation battle.

The football under AD has become better to watch than under AA but with the exception of 3 games has not led to wins - and it took 5 straight defeats (3 of which when he was caretaker) before we even scored our first goal IIRC. 

Speaking personally I would not appoint AD as our permanent manager without interviewing other candidates. If he would take that as a slap in the face, then he should win some more games asap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think things are a good bit more subtle that a direct comparison of points gained and lost under AA and AD.

AA - inherited a strong team full of confident players, used to winning and with real momentum going in the right direction.

AD - inherited a team that had effectively fallen apart, couldn't score a goal, couldn't get a win and confidence was shot.

I'm not looking to blame either manager for where we currently are, as I feel sorry for AA as I think he struggled with just about everything (language, getting ideas across, being the main man rather than a coach, working in a smaller club environment, not being able to see and accept the players for what they were and could offer etc.) and AD has had the unenviable task of turning the direction of travel (down the way) around and stabilise the team to squeeze out the points required to get us safe. Saturday was the perfect example of a group of players that got worried about losing the point that was theirs to take home never mind taking three home. Confidence is key in football.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that I would rather have AD in charge than AA as he had clearly lost the dressing room (rightly or wrongly, players to blame or not players to blame - the number one thing as manager is not to lose the dressing room) and we will need everyone pulling together to keep clear of trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

As a football manager you very, very rarely are in a position to "get the players to play your system". All the most successful managers pick a system to suit the players they have or can bring in. Look at Hamilton. They have a system. Their players are bargain basement but they are surviving in the top league.

AA should have been adaptable enough to work with what he had. As time went by he could have brought in guys he thought could do a job for him but he showed no sign of having the contacts needed.

AA adapted our style to the players he had available several times before he was sacked. Senior professionals at the club complained we were too open, he changed it so we were more difficult to breakdown.  It seemed obvious to me that he preferred two strikers and the signing of Sow would suggest he was looking for one of with a bit physicality about them. Thomas and Millar we’re tried as the second striker with limited success and I got the impression we would limp on to the winter window before bringing someone in more suited to the role.  It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that Kabamba was the type of player identified in the profile we required to our scout(s). As you say, managers need to adapt. He had and found a way to grind out results with stretched resources and an underperforming squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


The Killie Trust

KFC Supporters Association

Young Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock FC (Official)

×