Sign in to follow this  
jasper

Varani's Forum Ices

My late uncle Leo (Pieroni) used to run this place where the ice-cream, made to a recipe invented by my aunt, had people queuing in the street, particularly on a Sunday . Is it still as good and made to the same recipe ?

I don’t think the plain vanilla tastes the same imo and I can go back to when my gran lived in the tenements in Gilmour Street in the 50’s and 60’s . IIRc they only had a “few “ flavours back then can’t remember just how many , there are certainly more today. 
When I compare it to Mancinis Royal cafe ( now closed ) and Ronaldos in A*r it’s still much better imo . 

1 hour ago, jasper said:

My late uncle Leo (Pieroni) used to run this place where the ice-cream, made to a recipe invented by my aunt, had people queuing in the street, particularly on a Sunday . Is it still as good and made to the same recipe ?

I still think their vanilla is the best I've ever tasted.

No matter where i go in the world and sample the ice cream, my war cry is usually .... really good BUT no as good as the Forum 

On 3/31/2020 at 6:48 PM, jasper said:

I think it's still very good but the vanilla is different. I much preferred the original - well, mid 1960s - and we were told then that the recipe was a big secret. I've tried replicating what I remember of the taste and have a long standing suspicion that condensed milk played a part - partly because of the taste, partly because the older vanilla had a slightly caramel colour. Have you any knowledge of the recipe that you can share? I recently got hold of a well guarded lemon curd recipe and it seems the secret I was never going to guess was that the dear old lady made her own butter from organic cream so that the curd was free from the emulsifiers in bought butter nor subject to the same heat treatments - this made a remarkable difference to the texture. Likewise with the Forum's ice  cream was it egg based, thickened with starch or gum? Yours very hopefully....

Edited by mackpomm

Leo's son Paul, who is President of the Kilmarnock Rotary Club may well be privy to the secret formula, but I haven't seen him in fifty years so you would have to contact him through the Rotary. I suspect that you are right about the condensed milk and I agree completely about the darker tint of the old vanilla. Here in France, there is a long tradition of clinging on to secret recipes, but much of it boils down to ( see what I did there ?) the fact that the older generation had no access immediately post-war to the pharmacopia that we have now, and had to use fresh, unadulterated ingredients. You can still get these, of course, but have to pay the extra for the Bio label. Best of luck in your researches.

9 hours ago, jasper said:

Leo's son Paul, who is President of the Kilmarnock Rotary Club may well be privy to the secret formula, but I haven't seen him in fifty years so you would have to contact him through the Rotary. I suspect that you are right about the condensed milk and I agree completely about the darker tint of the old vanilla. Here in France, there is a long tradition of clinging on to secret recipes, but much of it boils down to ( see what I did there ?) the fact that the older generation had no access immediately post-war to the pharmacopia that we have now, and had to use fresh, unadulterated ingredients. You can still get these, of course, but have to pay the extra for the Bio label. Best of luck in your researches.

I went to school with one of Paul's sons. Great family.