gordon4418

Bowie Backs 14 team league

KILMARNOCK chief Billy Bowie has vowed to back reconstruction plans of three leagues of 14 — but only as a permanent set-up.

The Rugby Park owner says change shouldn’t be beyond Scotland’s clubs — and compared the compromises needed to Brexit.

All ten League Two clubs are planning a block vote in favour of three leagues of 14.

And Bowie said: “If those ten clubs have agreed to act as a unit they’ll be able to block any other suggestion.

“There wouldn’t seem to be any point in discussing alter-native options if the League Two clubs are determined to reject them out of hand.

“In that case, I would be prepared to go along with 14-14-14 because it has some merit.

"We can’t spend weeks debating this issue when there’s so much else to concern ourselves with.

“The 14-14-14 plan at least gives some clubs a lift up the ladder and that’s not a bad thing.

“We’d be voting in favour of that set-up, but only if it’s permanent.

"We don’t want to be going through this all over again in a year or two.

“I appreciate that not everyone will be in favour of it, but I didn’t vote for Brexit and I’ve had to deal with that.

"Compared to that, reconstruction should be doable.

“Every club is looking for certainty and maybe we needed someone to stand up and say ‘You know what, this is it’ because all this uncertainty is no use.

“The next thing we need to do is to decide whether the current season can feasibly be played to a finish, or whether we just call it now.

“We must have a decision on that soon because that would help clubs, including ours, to plan for season 2020-21, whenever that might be allowed to begin."

Hamilton also look set to back the plan on a permanent basis.

Chairman Allan Maitland added: “A longer-term solution of a 14-team league would work much better and that’s the way we are going to vote.

BIG MEETING SPFL set to hold EGM next month after Rangers, Hearts and Stranraer's call 

“I understand the value in saying, ‘Look, let’s make sure nobody is penalised, it’s no one’s fault this has happened, so next year we’ll be able to revert to what it was’.

“But, equally, that looks very much like it’s to save Hearts as a one-off season and that doesn’t sit right.

“I know I may get in trouble for that but it looks a bit narrow-minded.”

Stenhousemuir chairman Iain McMenemy admitted: “We’ve tried to come to a consensus.

SPFL set to hold EGM next month after Rangers, Hearts and Stranraer's call

“We’re willing to concede things among ourselves but there are winners and losers in there.

"Cove wouldn’t move out of the bottom tier, for example, but there are times when you have to give.

“Because we have this system of democratic and financial apartheid in Scottish football, unless Premiership clubs support it you’re not even going to get it on the table.

“It feels as if the lower leagues don’t exist, but if they don’t take us seriously there’s a collective of ten votes who want to be listened to or else nothing will go through.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5537714/kilmarnock-billy-bowie-14-team-leagues-permanent/

glad we're looking to back a bigger league but only on a permanent basis

9 minutes ago, gordon4418 said:

KILMARNOCK chief Billy Bowie has vowed to back reconstruction plans of three leagues of 14 — but only as a permanent set-up.

The Rugby Park owner says change shouldn’t be beyond Scotland’s clubs — and compared the compromises needed to Brexit.

All ten League Two clubs are planning a block vote in favour of three leagues of 14.

And Bowie said: “If those ten clubs have agreed to act as a unit they’ll be able to block any other suggestion.

“There wouldn’t seem to be any point in discussing alter-native options if the League Two clubs are determined to reject them out of hand.

“In that case, I would be prepared to go along with 14-14-14 because it has some merit.

"We can’t spend weeks debating this issue when there’s so much else to concern ourselves with.

“The 14-14-14 plan at least gives some clubs a lift up the ladder and that’s not a bad thing.

“We’d be voting in favour of that set-up, but only if it’s permanent.

"We don’t want to be going through this all over again in a year or two.

“I appreciate that not everyone will be in favour of it, but I didn’t vote for Brexit and I’ve had to deal with that.

"Compared to that, reconstruction should be doable.

“Every club is looking for certainty and maybe we needed someone to stand up and say ‘You know what, this is it’ because all this uncertainty is no use.

“The next thing we need to do is to decide whether the current season can feasibly be played to a finish, or whether we just call it now.

“We must have a decision on that soon because that would help clubs, including ours, to plan for season 2020-21, whenever that might be allowed to begin."

Hamilton also look set to back the plan on a permanent basis.

Chairman Allan Maitland added: “A longer-term solution of a 14-team league would work much better and that’s the way we are going to vote.

BIG MEETING SPFL set to hold EGM next month after Rangers, Hearts and Stranraer's call 

“I understand the value in saying, ‘Look, let’s make sure nobody is penalised, it’s no one’s fault this has happened, so next year we’ll be able to revert to what it was’.

“But, equally, that looks very much like it’s to save Hearts as a one-off season and that doesn’t sit right.

“I know I may get in trouble for that but it looks a bit narrow-minded.”

Stenhousemuir chairman Iain McMenemy admitted: “We’ve tried to come to a consensus.

SPFL set to hold EGM next month after Rangers, Hearts and Stranraer's call

“We’re willing to concede things among ourselves but there are winners and losers in there.

"Cove wouldn’t move out of the bottom tier, for example, but there are times when you have to give.

“Because we have this system of democratic and financial apartheid in Scottish football, unless Premiership clubs support it you’re not even going to get it on the table.

“It feels as if the lower leagues don’t exist, but if they don’t take us seriously there’s a collective of ten votes who want to be listened to or else nothing will go through.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5537714/kilmarnock-billy-bowie-14-team-leagues-permanent/

glad we're looking to back a bigger league but only on a permanent basis

Stick your 14 league up her poo chute.

16 please and play each other home and away.  16 allows a split with a further home and away with a top 8 meaning 44 league games or told six and 40 league games.  Top teams play OF 4 x so gets around that.

Bottom 10 ot 8 then play each other x 2 and bottom 3 go down with 3 up.

Still not sure re the 14 set up especially in regard to how the split would work or be a financial benefit if in the middle 

but have to applaud those comments from BB , no nonsense , unequivocal and common sense ......far too much from likes of hertz about only a temporary move (to save them) ..IF there has to be change then it must be done with a long term plan and structure in place , clubs and fans need certainty not a cobbled together fix to appease only a few self interested clubs 

If they would consult the fans about what we want to watch rather than trying to just satisfy the old firm at every turn we would have a much more exciting product.

Fair play to Billy Bowie though who continues to come over as an open and sensible guy.

Edited by Fletch

Well said Billy. It’s not everyone’s perfect solution but one that works. Top 6, bottom 8 means 4 Old Firm games as well which means it actually might have the backing of TV companies. 16 or 18 team top flight isn’t realistic imo.

6 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Too many teams in the Leagues as it stands. 

I’d agree with that. I realise that no team has any more right to exist than any other team but we need to adapt to circumstances. It’s not the 1950’s and we don’t have those level of attendances across the country any more. We have too many teams for the number of people prepared to get out and watch football. 

Just look at ourselves - our best season in over 50 years and we didn’t even get near the average attendance we were getting in the early 1990’s. 

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

Too many teams in the Leagues as it stands. 

We wouldn't be having this discussion if Hearts and Thistle weren't getting relegated. Total Joke. Keep it the same and get them down.

1 minute ago, muza1962 said:

We wouldn't be having this discussion if Hearts and Thistle weren't getting relegated. Total Joke. Keep it the same and get them down.

Oh, I think most at RP  would sing a different tune if we'd had a few points less ?

But, you're  correct.....

Good to hear the chairman's view. 

It wouldn't be my preferred option, but Bowie seems to reacting to a sense that a compromise might be good for Scottish football. 

I wonder, does adding two teams that are likely a bit worse than us make the league easier or harder for us? I feel we often play better against the bigger sides and struggle when we are 'favourites'.

1 hour ago, historyman said:

I’d agree with that. I realise that no team has any more right to exist than any other team but we need to adapt to circumstances. It’s not the 1950’s and we don’t have those level of attendances across the country any more. We have too many teams for the number of people prepared to get out and watch football. 

Just look at ourselves - our best season in over 50 years and we didn’t even get near the average attendance we were getting in the early 1990’s. 

New blood isn’t a bad thing. Plus in Brora and Kelty you have two very strong teams while there’s some at the bottom of League 2 who’ve been making up the numbers. 

Cove Rangers and Edinburgh City (to a certain extent) have been success stories. 

28 minutes ago, jazza said:

New blood isn’t a bad thing. Plus in Brora and Kelty you have two very strong teams while there’s some at the bottom of League 2 who’ve been making up the numbers. 

Cove Rangers and Edinburgh City (to a certain extent) have been success stories. 

Absolutely agree.

There should be teams being relegated from and promoted to the leagues each season. These progressive clubs bring more to the game than the likes of East Stirling who have wallowed around the bottom for their entire history (and I never forgave them for beating us in the mid-80s).

However, the total amount of teams should be less. In the modern era the country doesn't have the fanbase to support more than 40 professional clubs.

Fair play Billy, pretty straight to the point and good response. 

I'd much a rather a 16 team league but seems theres no chance of that happening. 

Whatever the change (if any), it has to be permanent and not a short term fix to help out Hearts. 

Can we not have reconstruction that gets any form of split so far in the sea it can't come back?

Split adds absolutely nothing to our game imo! Get it back to a proper league format with 16/18/20 teams everyone plays each other 2x or 4x then it ends ... no split just end of the season with all teams playing each other the same amount of times both home and away. No 17 home games & 19 away games cause a teamhad a stinker of a season and Rankings are off, no staggered last day, everyone plays at the same time be it 12.00, 5.30 on the Saturday 3pm on Sunday . No 7th place has more points that 6th and 5th. No more hack playoff for relegation.

But most importantly what ever reconstruction there is, it has to 1) be permanent and 2) Hearts must be relegated for being completely woeful all this season.