Sign in to follow this  
gordon4418

Bowie Backs 14 team league

1 minute ago, DrewWylie said:

Aye Brechin should be out , corrupt chunts 

Why ?

Bottom of League 2 isn't automatic relegation, its a playoff. They have been treated no differently to teams in the playoff spot in the other leagues.

9 minutes ago, DrewWylie said:

Aye Brechin should be out , corrupt chunts 

Why? There is no automatic relegation from League 2 and seeing as all playoffs have been cancelled it's fair(ish)

I am thinking of a 15 - 15 - 14 set up.

SPL of 15 play each other twice, then split into 3 x 5 and play home and away. This will also give TV companies 4 OF games that they want. (maybe)

1 team gets a rest day every week for recovery purposes. (no winter shutdown)

Will give 10 teams a chance to blood youngsters in 8 games therefore speeding up the progression of youths to the first team

Either add Kelty and Brora to third tier or add two OF colt teams.

Just a thought, and radical maybe, but sometimes radical needs to be done.

I am sure there are flaws in it though.

3 minutes ago, CBFC said:

SPL of 15 play each other twice, then split into 3 x 5 and play home and away. This will also give TV companies 4 OF games that they want. (maybe)

Will give 10 teams a chance to blood youngsters in 8 games therefore speeding up the progression of youths to the first team

We only need two 16 team leagues with regionalised pyramid leagues below that, but like your plan, it isn't going to happen. Brora and Stranraer in the same league would involve a 308 mile trip in the middle of winter with no guarantee that either pitch would be playable. Using colt (I really hate that term) teams is something that Celtic and Sevco want and most of the lower league teams don't want. Blooding youngsters is a pipe dream, in reality any decent youngster is hoovered up by EPL sides who can afford to keep them until they progress or they are released having failed to make sufficient improvement. With two fifteen team leagues one side gets a rest each week, but it also has no income on that week. 

Don't agree that blooding youngsters is a pipedream. We have lost 2 young players to England that I remember, Kennedy and Smith. Kennedy had already played for the 1st team. I don't think that the league is too bad at getting young players involved, we've had plenty with varying degrees of success. The French system might help. Limit the number of players over a certain age you can have in a squad. A certain 2 clubs won't entertain it though. 

No one would.

Currently we have MacDonald, Broadfoot, Dicker, Power, Burke and El Makrini all the wrong side of 30 Just recently we had Boyd and Bruce. Putting a cap on older players isn't the answer, we need more games that aren't cutthroat so we can bed in kids alongside our older players passing on their knowledge.

10 hours ago, cammy2012 said:

Dont need more diddy teams. Quite enough already.

There are teams at the top of the Lowland and Highland League much stronger than the bottom of League 2. What’s the point of having a pyramid structure.

If they are significantly better the same should happen next season and they’ll get admitted through winning their leagues. If I was all powerful in the Scottish game I’d limit our pro leagues to two divisions and have regional football below that. 24-28 pro teams is all Scotland should have and even at that some would be part time. We try and slice a small cake into too many tiny pieces. 

17 hours ago, CBFC said:

Why should they get colt teams and the rest of us not?

unfortinatley tv deal is based on 4 old firm games, just let them have bigots day out every week by letting glasgow derby every week in there own 2 team league & rest of us form our own league rather than pander to 2 teams, but wont happen

There might be too many teams in Scotland. But everybody has the right to follow who they want. Its not just about league teams you have your Kilwinning Rangers ,Cumnock ,Dalbeattie &  amateur teams etc. The people who follow and volunteer at these clubs are not suddenly going to start following league teams. So its easy to say there are too many teams but these teams are no less important to them .Than Killie is to us. 

8 minutes ago, DG5 said:

There might be too many teams in Scotland. But everybody has the right to follow who they want. Its not just about league teams you have your Kilwinning Rangers ,Cumnock ,Dalbeattie &  amateur teams etc. The people who follow and volunteer at these clubs are not suddenly going to start following league teams. So its easy to say there are too many teams but these teams are no less important to them .Than Killie is to us. 

Exactly this. 

Should add that the match day experience I've had at Cumbernauld Colts and Bonnyrigg has been far more enjoyable than most trips to the Accies... 

I think having teams like Brora and Kelty in the setup and healthy competition to move up is a good thing for the game. 

The number of teams in Scotland is immaterial and of course people should follow where their heart takes them. I meant the professional league should be a two division concept with the pyramid below. But the money is spread too thin to too many members at present and the quality is diluted accordingly. 

1 hour ago, trenwick said:

unfortinatley tv deal is based on 4 old firm games, just let them have bigots day out every week by letting glasgow derby every week in there own 2 team league & rest of us form our own league rather than pander to 2 teams, but wont happen

This notion of a contract guaranteeing 4 games between Celtic and Sevco seems to get perpetuated alot but i don't see how it can actually be true.

If the SPFL's lawyers are remotely competent and spent even 10 mins reading through it and a clause where a minimum number of games between 2 specific clubs is stipulated then they would have immediately flagged it as a liability especially given the turmoil Sevco have gone through in the past and seem to be continually going through necessitating continued share issues.

3 minutes ago, gordon4418 said:

This notion of a contract guaranteeing 4 games between Celtic and Sevco seems to get perpetuated alot but i don't see how it can actually be true.

If the SPFL's lawyers are remotely competent and spent even 10 mins reading through it and a clause where a minimum number of games between 2 specific clubs is stipulated then they would have immediately flagged it as a liability especially given the turmoil Sevco have gone through in the past and seem to be continually going through necessitating continued share issues.

Not stipulated. But, preferable. TV (sky in particular) have made it abundantly clear in the past, that the value of the TV deal will vary dramatically, if there were to be less than 4 bigot bowls per season.

Remember, that fud Doncaster negotiated a contract, with time left to run, down, because the huns went to the wall. In order to keep the TV onside in the intervening years.

1 hour ago, trenwick said:

unfortinatley tv deal is based on 4 old firm games,

It can't be. With the split they are not both guaranteed to finish in the same half of the table.

57 minutes ago, casual observer said:

The number of teams in Scotland is immaterial and of course people should follow where their heart takes them. I meant the professional league should be a two division concept with the pyramid below. But the money is spread too thin to too many members at present and the quality is diluted accordingly. 

The point i was trying to make. Its all right saying too many teams and quality diluted. To which i agree somewhat. But you cant dismiss others and say get on with it we are ok!   Its only 20 odd years ago we were down there with the So called lesser teams. And in the past a part time club .

4 hours ago, Nigel4 said:

Why should they get colt teams and the rest of us not?

Nigel, my reasoning behind this is for the OF to make concessions to the way the league is set up. This 11-1 voting system plays right into their hands. We must break that and by 'negotiating' colts teams (amongst other stuff) we could maybe do that. For too long the OF have run (ruined) Scottish football.