Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pompey Exile

The Joy of Painting

Recommended Posts

I've been catching this on BBC 4 at 7pm weeknights. 

In the half hour episodes, Bob Ross; a mild mannered artist with a splendid perm, paints an entire landscape, full of "happy little trees"

As much as the painting is impressive, his soothing voice and friendly manner make it a joy to watch.

Are the any other fans on here?

Edited by Pompey Exile
Wrong channel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pompey Exile said:

I've been catching this on BBC 3 at 7pm weeknights. 

In the half hour episodes, Bob Ross; a mild mannered artist with a splendid perm, paints an entire landscape, full of "happy little trees"

As much as the painting is impressive, his soothing voice and friendly manner make it a joy to watch.

Are the any other fans on here?

Yep. Count me in. Used to watch him in the 70's or whenever it was and be fascinated by the style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pompey Exile said:

No despite him making it look like a piece of cake I'm not tempted to have a go.

I can draw though

It did seem to be a lot about technique so once you knew how to do it you could produce similar paintings by the score.  Still fascinating  tho! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is BBC3 the online channel?

I enjoy watching Landscape, and especially Portrait, Artist of the Year on Sky Arts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2020 at 10:21 PM, Pompey Exile said:

I've been catching this on BBC 4 at 7pm weeknights. 

In the half hour episodes, Bob Ross; a mild mannered artist with a splendid perm, paints an entire landscape, full of "happy little trees"

As much as the painting is impressive, his soothing voice and friendly manner make it a joy to watch.

Are the any other fans on here?

Used to love coming home after a night on the nummers. 

Bob bringing me back down from space 

A cracking wee programme. Still great 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched that and wondered about the old chap leaning against the tree and whether painting folk maybe not Bob's strongest point. Didnt realised Bob died young and also, after his military service, he decided never to "yell", at anyone ever again. Nice fella. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah quite interesting when you read his back story. 

Move over Attenborough: why Bob Ross’s art lessons are TV’s ultimate stressbuster

It might sound unlikely, but The Joy of Painting – a kitsch, gentle show from the 80s which returns to TV this week – is the ultimate antidote to the trials of the modern world

Full Guardian article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His techniques are good to watch and practise but his style is very dated. It is from 1987, after all!

Worth watching.

There's not enough arts and crafts programmes (and too many about food). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skygod said:

His techniques are good to watch and practise but his style is very dated. It is from 1987, after all!

Worth watching.

There's not enough arts and crafts programmes (and too many about food). 

 

Mmm. Interesting. Who defines "dated'. I love the Impressionist style and Paul Cezzane is my fav. For me Im not too interested in when precisely something was painted. I do agree though with Bob it is almost a degree of trickery in the way he paints but I wouldn't necessarily assign that to a particular decade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also love art from many different periods and schools.

What I meant by “dated” is that I was expecting a  contemporary programme and it just felt a bit odd to watch this guy painting landscapes in the 1980s in a style which was commercially popular back then.  

Maybe he could paint in the style of Cezanne or Renoir or Vermeer, but he was happy doing his own thing at that time. 

As I say, it was interesting to watch his techniques. 

 

Edited by skygod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 1:10 AM, skygod said:

I also love art from many different periods and schools.

What I meant by “dated” is that I was expecting a  contemporary programme and it just felt a bit odd to watch this guy painting landscapes in the 1980s in a style which was commercially popular back then.  

Maybe he could paint in the style of Cezanne or Renoir or Vermeer, but he was happy doing his own thing at that time. 

As I say, it was interesting to watch his techniques. 

 

Yep. Sorry Skygod  Just watching it again last night and the exact same style is prominent in all of his paintings, every episode with the same stippling and dabbing and scraping. V clever to be fair but of that time. Still enjoy it tho and glad it's on. A peaceful half hour. "Heres a happy little bush..." My ma has one very much in that style and from that time when it was very trendy. Its a mountain scene but always annoyed me as the reflections in the lake below were all wrong.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Kozano said:

I love painting, it relaxes me a lot

If you paint my fence that would relax me a lot. 9_9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

The Killie Trust

KFC Supporters Association

Young Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock FC (Official)

×