Sign in to follow this  
skygod

CJ interview

In 2017, Cathy Jamieson was a passionate Kilmarnock fan with a burning desire to help the club in any way she could.

Fast forward three years and she is now a club director making day-to-day decisions that have a huge impact – and she’s still that passionate fan.

Cathy joined the Killie Trust board three years ago and since then, thanks to their Trust in Killie (TIK) fundraising campaign which was launched at the same time, they have raised over £200,000 for the Rugby Park side.

Their largest project was raising £100,000 to get someone representing the Trust on the Killie board of directors.

And other large investments have seen the Trust pledge £65,000 to the club since March during the coronavirus lockdown, as well as supplying safe standing in the East and Moffat stands, the latter ensuring the club were the first in the UK to install it in a family stand.

And speaking to the Kilmarnock Standard, Cathy has reflected on her time on the Trust with fondness.

She said: “When I first joined the Trust board, we were just starting the Trust in Killie fundraiser. The plan then was to raise £100,000 so that we could get a representative of the Trust on to the Killie board.

“Once we succeeded with that, we started coming up with other ideas of what the Trust could do to help the club.

“It has been quite a journey, in some ways it feels like it was only yesterday that I joined, but other times I think, ‘is that only three years?’

“And that is just because we have raised so much for the Trust and the club. We are now over the £200,000 mark, we have installed safe standing, and with plenty of other projects, there has been a lot going on.

“The amount of money we have raised shows the real depth of support from the Killie Trust members.

“TIK started with a relatively small number of people making regular donations, but gradually more people got involved when they saw that every penny donated was going to the club.

“There’s also other things we help support such as KCST, the youth academy, cheerleaders, various things like that and people see this money is being used productively.

“It has been great that we have had people continuing to donate during these difficult times.”

And in terms of being a club director, she said: “It took a bit of getting used to being involved on the board of Killie.

“I am a director of other organisations, but football is very different.

“It took me a bit of time to get used to what’s going on, how the decision-making processes worked.

“I have had nothing but positive support from both Billy [Bowie] and Phyllis [McLeish].

“I have always been included in everything from the start.

“I hope that during that time I have made a contribution and brought some of my skills from elsewhere.

“Just now it’s not easy, because we want the club to get through this difficult period as best as possible.

“There are so many supporters that Kilmarnock FC is a huge part of their lives, and we want to do everything we can to repay that support.”

She added: “It has been fantastic that the fans want to do everything that they can to help out.

“Fans are wanting to support us financially – they asked what they could do which led to the decision of us making shares available to buy for season ticket holders.

“We have also seen fans asking to buy season tickets to help out, but we have taken a view not to put them on sale until we have a clearer picture of when the current season will end and when the new one will start.

“We have had some fantastic engagements from fans online, the Killie Kit Day in particular was phenomenal.

“Hundreds, if not thousands, sent in pictures of them in their kits and it was trending on Twitter.

“The past few weeks we have been running the competition to design a Killie kit for kids too, but there has even been adults entering, and that shows how much of the Killie community spirit is still there.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/kilmarnocks-cathy-jamieson-opens-up-22019677