Sign in to follow this  
3GAKAS

Killie v Sheffield Wednesday 2001, help please

Doing some research into the Gus MacPherson Testimonial match v Sheffield Wednesday in 2001. Would anyone know the Killie line up ie players and numbers? Thank you in advance 

Thank you Lroy  but not sure this line up is correct. Names I have that played were Garry Hay, Peter Camero, Davis Merdy, Freddie Dindeleux and Gus for three minutes.

You would need a team-sheet, I think. 

The club might be able to help if there was anyone there! 

1 hour ago, trenwick said:

wow feel really old looking at that..... the Youngsters Hay and Fowler have now retired 

And this was a time when Jesus played for Killie!

I was at that game - so it turns out that I did see the famous David Merdy play!

Edited by Slinky

I remember going to Gus' testimonial match and thinking what a pitiful attendance - 2,145 - for a guy who was a great servant to our club.

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

I remember going to Gus' testimonial match and thinking what a pitiful attendance - 2,145 - for a guy who was a great servant to our club.

Friday night, pre-season, uninspiring opposition - I expect these were all factors. 

Without checking, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a substantial number of fringe players and reserves in the Wednesday team. No household names, outside of Simon Donnelly’s hoose. 

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

Friday night, pre-season, uninspiring opposition - I expect these were all factors. 

Without checking, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a substantial number of fringe players and reserves in the Wednesday team. No household names, outside of Simon Donnelly’s hoose. 

Hadn't Gus already left us for dunfermline? Might have put a few off.

Don’t agree and never did about having testimonials , players get enough out of fans , didn’t even go to montys ,the legend 

21 hours ago, 3GAKAS said:

Doing some research into the Gus MacPherson Testimonial match v Sheffield Wednesday in 2001. Would anyone know the Killie line up ie players and numbers? Thank you in advance 

Try a sheff weds fans forum , you’ll get details there 

3 hours ago, Slinky said:

I was at that game - so it turns out that I did see the famous David Merdy play!

Yes somone close to me said he looked like Mark Hately! 

1st time I saw Fowler at Rb

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Absolutely right; Friday night, Sheffield Wednesday, season not started and as stated at the time: Only 2145 customers bothered to help Gus MacPherson receive a profitable send off from Rugby Park in his testimonial against Sheffield Wednesday.

The veteran defender perhaps paid for his close-season defection to Scottish Premier League rivals Dunfermline Athletic having turned down Kilmarnocks offer of a new contract. MacPherson could only play for three minutes of the rather dull 0-0 draw because of injury sustained during his new club Dunfermline’s pre-season trip.

Legendary status somewhat soured perhaps?

"Kilmarnock's out-of-contract defender Gus MacPherson yesterday ended speculation over his future and signed a three-year deal with Dunfermline. McPherson, 32, revealed that contract negotiations with the Rugby Park club had broken down irreparably after they refused to offer him a pay rise as he entered his testimonial year."

telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/4777287/New-signing-is-real-bargain-says-Advocaat.html

Can anyone recall the pre season friendly with Sheff Weds in the old stadium and got there thinking it would be a s**t crowd and then, lo and behold, there came this singing "I've never felt more like singing the blues........" and a load of Weds fans turned up and it was a great atmosphere